Love travelling? Let’s help you pack

How do you effectively pack for the Camino de Santiago so that you are prepared with everything that you need, but you still pack light? Our UltimateCamino Packing List for women and men, also available as a downloadable PDF checklist, is the place to find out. Read on for Camino specific packing recommendations on backpacks, clothing, shoes, foot care, practical gear and more.

A beautiful walk, a memorable journey — one that comes up in conversation over and over again. That is our Camino de Santiago. Lessons learned, a stack of stories in six weeks and 600 miles/960 km, a metaphor for life.

Walking the Camino de Santiago together as a couple, a rare selfie moment.

The greatest bit of preparation you can do to influence your comfort on that journey — so that you can focus on what’s around you rather than the burden of your backpack — is to know what to pack for the Camino, and why.

Based on our experience — an exceptional one that combined the Caminos del Norte, Primitivo and Frances and Finisterre — we were 95% happy with the packing choices we’d made and learned the other 5% in lessons. In this Camino de Santiago packing guide for men, women and couples, you get the 100% so you can benefit from all our experience.

If you are considering walking the Camino de Santiago, no matter what distance, the short answer: yes. We’ll cover other planning factors for the Camino de Santiago — choosing a route, when to walk, accommodation options, how to eat amazingly well and cheap, and more — in a series of other articles. Before that, however, one of the essential lessons of the Camino de Santiago lands when you realize how little you need to pack and carry.